Monday, November 16, 2009

Oscar: A boy alone in the city

While I was reading Oscar’s entry, I was remembering one time when I was at the subway station and a person had fallen to the rails. I heard some other people saying:” couldn’t he throw himself somewhere else or at another time”. Oscar’s perception of why we do not see children wandering around the city is pretty similar to my understanding of the dehumanized world we live in.

It is true that sometimes hopelessness of getting a job leads people to steal. However, we should encourage our students to go to the last honest and legitimate resource to face the situation instead of committing crimes. It is hard, but otherwise it can be considered as encouraging the students to do illegal deeds.

I also think that sometimes we have to create opportunities for our students so that they can become autonomous subjects who can create their own opportunities as well. Our teaching will make our students be better able to face the society we live in and then their opportunity of changing it will come.

I really liked Oscar’s entry because it really made me consider topics present in Oliver Twist as well as different things we see daily. It is really interesting to see how he relates everything to our Chilean society and ,at the end, that makes it more real.

No comments: