Sunday, July 25, 2010

Letter

Mr. President,

Due to the current situation in our educational system, I feel I must be part and state my opinion. I took the liberty of doing so because I feel I am qualified by experience to expand your knowledge on the current state and provide you with the reason I think is causing big problems in our education.

One of the biggest problems I have been able to observe and the cause I truly believe is causing most of the problems in education is the lack of importance our society gives to education. I must be bold and state that these problems can find a solution by the active participation of parents in the school community. The incorporation of parents to our daily practice is an urgent matter. When we have to deal with students that do not understand the importance of education, we are also dealing with parents that do not understand it. Therefore, it is essential that parents can be included in the activities of our students in order to build a learning community.

Once we make our parents understand that education is essential in the lives of any participant in this society, we will find a way of encouraging our students to become responsible of their learning processes. I was able to make this conclusion after observing different realities. In private schools, teachers do not have to fight with the students so that they learn because they already understand that in order to become a citizen of this society they must be educated. However, teachers in the public sector need to fight everyday with students that simply do not care about their education process and that see no benefit in being educated. Once we can incorporate parents in the educational process, we will be able to transmit it to our students.

No comments: